This is a post for future-Simon.
Background: Admin kills me. It absolutely hammers me into the ground. I hate it, I don’t value it and it torments me until I find a way to get it done. So much hate. Server admin – love. ActualReality™ – not so much love.
Running your own company ramps up the admin immensely. Accounts, paying people (love that I can, hate the process), taxes, random paperwork. It’s horrible.
This morning while cycling to work conversation went something like this: “Do you think $hero has to do this?”
Answer: “No he has someone do it for him”.
Wow. I like that.
This is a note to future-Simon:
- You don’t have to be good at this.
- You can outsource it easily.
- Outsourcing looks like “Make a checklist. Pay someone to work through the checklist once a month with you”
- When $item arrives, put it on the stack and forget about it.
- Hold the stack until the 3rd or 4th of the month (sometime not too early to miss end-of-month invoices, but early enough to make sure you get everyone paid nicely on time)
- Have them work through the list with you.
- Put this as a monthly, repeating calendar appointment so it just happens.
- Worry less about the things you don’t enjoy
- Become better at asking for help
- “Some people actually enjoy this stuff”
- Live longer with less stress
That sounds pretty good to me.